2020 Policy Updates
Infertility – Storage and Thawing of Eggs, Sperm, and Embryos
- Effective upon renewal in 2020, all BCBSRI-insured plans will provide coverage for the storage and thawing of eggs, sperm, and embryos for members who are undergoing medically necessary treatments that may render them infertile. This change expands existing coverage for standard fertility-preservation services for these members to include the storage and thawing fees.
- Effective upon renewal in 2020, all BCBSRI self-funded plans will also provide coverage to be consistent with our insured plans unless they opt out of making this change.
- This change is being made in order to comply with the existing infertility mandate, R.I. Gen. Laws § 27-18-30, based on guidance from the Office of the Health Insurance Commissioner
Preventive Services for HSA-Qualified High Deductible Health Plans
- Effective upon renewal in 2020, all BCBSRI Small Group BlueSolutions plans will have an expanded Preventive Drug List that now includes a certain class of prescription drugs designed to treat depression.
- Effective upon renewal in 2020, all BCBSRI Large Group Fully Insured BlueSolutions and Access Blue New England plans will have the option to add the expanded Preventive Drug List.
These changes are based on guidance from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), issued in 20 de julio19. The IRS guidance allows for potential additional changes to preventive services that are being evaluated for plan years beginning in 2021.